
Retired District Judge Michael Chitty on Saturday denied Karmelo Anthony’s motion for a new trial, leaving intact his murder conviction and 35-year prison sentence for fatally stabbing 17-year-old Austin Metcalf.
Chitty offered no detailed explanation in the half-page order after a two-day Collin County hearing.
“Upon reviewing the motion, the record, the evidence and argument, the briefs, and the relevant case law, the Court has determined that the motion should be denied,” the order states. “It is therefore considered, ordered, and adjudged by the Court that the Motion for New Trial is denied.”
The ruling followed testimony over an unwritten evidence agreement that Anthony’s former lawyers said influenced his decision not to testify, as The Dallas Express previously reported.
Defense heads to Dallas appeals court
Anthony’s lawyers argued that disagreements over the unwritten agreement, limits on public access to the trial and jury instructions deprived him of a fair proceeding. Prosecutors maintained that the original trial was fair and that security restrictions protected the case amid threats and intense public attention.
Visiting Judge Sid Harle recused District Judge John Roach Jr. from the post-trial proceedings on Wednesday after finding that a reasonable observer could question Roach’s impartiality. The recusal did not disturb the jury’s verdict.
“We respectfully disagree with the ruling and remain firmly committed to protecting our client’s rights,” attorney Russell Wilson said, according to a report. “We believe the issues raised in our motion are substantial and deserve meaningful appellate review. The denial of our motion does not end this case. We will continue the appeal in the Fifth Court of Appeals and pursue every legal remedy available to our client.”
“We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial. The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process,” Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis (R) said in a statement.
A Collin County jury convicted Anthony, 19, of murder on June 9, 2026 in Metcalf’s April 2, 2025, death at a Frisco ISD track meet at Kuykendall Stadium. Jurors rejected Anthony’s self-defense claim and sentenced him to 35 years in prison.
His direct appeal will proceed in the Fifth Court of Appeals in Dallas. That court can affirm the conviction, reverse it and order a new trial, or return specific issues to the trial court. If the Fifth Court rules against him, Anthony can ask the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals to review the case.
Provided by Dallas Express

Comments
Nothing yet. Say the first thing.
Sign in to join the conversation.