Manitoba’s premier says he is open to returning U.S. booze to provincial shelves but wonders how reliable any deal will be with a president known for breaking his word. Wab Kinew made the comments on Winnipeg radio station 680 CJOB this morning as Canada and the United States work to finalize a new trade deal to ward off further punishing tariffs on Canadian goods. It reportedly includes a better…
By Maggie Macintosh, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Winnipeg Free Press Ninety-four complaints about teacher misconduct were flagged in the 15 months after Manitoba set up an independent office to regulate the profession. Commissioner Noni Classen has released a summary of the allegations brought to her attention and findings of investigations undertaken between January 2025 and March 2026.…
Neskantaga First Nation chief says his northern Ontario community had to be evacuated again after a contractor hired by the federal government caused a sewage flood at the community’s only nursing station. Gary Quisess says Neskantaga residents had to leave earlier this month for the second time this summer, just days after they returned home following a wildfire evacuation. He says families from…
By Lucas-Matthew Marsh, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Iori:wase The Quebec Enterprise Registrar has reinstated the former board of directors at the Native House, according to a decision that was issued in June. Richard Ruest, President of the Native House, described the decision as a crucial step in restoring normal governance to the museum. “This decision restores the legitimacy of the…
By Bob Mackin, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Prince George Citizen A Provincial Court judge in Prince George has reserved decision on the sentence for a man who pleaded guilty to distributing child pornography and bestiality. After an Aug. 6 hearing, Judge David Simpkin sent Crown and defence lawyers to court schedulers to arrange a one-hour hearing to decide how long Andy Junior Leslie…
By Bob Mackin, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Prince George Citizen A Prince George construction company says it is owed $1.7 million after working to dismantle the former Canfor Oriented Strand Board (OSB) plant in Fort Nelson. JDT Construction Ltd. filed a notice of civil claim in BC Supreme Court’s Prince George registry on July 30, claiming Peak North America Construction Ltd. and Peak…
By Dominique Gené, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Nunatsiaq News The Nunavik Regional Board of Health and Social Services has partnered with a non-profit to provide Nunavimmiut living with disability, autism or mental health conditions the opportunity to stay at a camp outside Quebec City that meets their needs. The agreement with Cité Joie covers respite stays for up to one month and…
By Darryl Greer The BC Prosecution Service says appealing the acquittal of a man accused of killing 33-year-old Vanessa Terry isn’t viable, after a judge tossed out incriminating statements made to police due to “degrading and humiliating” treatment by investigators after the man’s arrest. Terry, a mother of three, was found dead in her home on the Seabird Island First Nation reserve near Agassiz,…
By Steven Sukkau, Local Journalism Initiative Reporter, Winnipeg Sun The Manitoba Wildlife Federation says it is seeking answers from the provincial government after learning that numerous parcels within several Interlake Wildlife Management Areas are being considered for transfer to Peguis First Nation through the Treaty Land Entitlement process. MWF senior policy advisor Chris Heald said the…
Police says the remains of a newly born infant or fetus have been found in a small Métis settlement in northern Manitoba. RCMP say officers were notified that possible human remains were discovered outside an address in the community of Umpherville, about 630 kilometres northwest of Winnipeg. Officers located the remains Monday between two residences. Police say an autopsy has been conducted, but…