Max Verstappen has ended any uncertainty over his future with Red Bull in Formula 1 by signing a new contract through to the end of 2030.
Red Bull announced ahead of Verstappen’s home grand prix in the Netherlands this weekend that the four-time world champion would be remaining with the team for a further four years.
The 28-year-old’s previous contract — signed in early 2022 a few months after winning his maiden world title — ran to the end of 2028, but he has regularly been linked with a possible move away from Red Bull.
Earlier this year, Verstappen cast doubt on his F1 future given his dislike of the new generation of cars, while he was also subject to links to McLaren in recent months.
In the races leading up to F1’s summer break, the Dutchman dodged opportunities to firmly state that he would remain with Red Bull for 2027 or provide an update on his future. At last month’s Belgian Grand Prix, he said that “if there was something new, I would say it myself”.
Thursday’s announcement has now firmed up Verstappen’s future plans ahead of what is set to be the last running of the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort this weekend, a race that would not exist were it not for his success and popularity.
In a statement, Verstappen referred to Red Bull as being like a “second family,” and expressed his commitment to get the team back to the top of F1, calling it the “ultimate goal.”
“To continue this journey with the same team that I have been with my whole career is really special and something I have always wanted to do,” Verstappen said.
Four more years of full send ✍️
We’re delighted to announce that Max has signed a contract extension with the Team until the end of 2030 🦁#F1 pic.twitter.com/7u1TgslIvS
— Oracle Red Bull Racing (@redbullracing) August 20, 2026
The renewal commits Verstappen to Red Bull into the next decade and continues their long-standing partnership that dates back to when the Dutchman raced in Formula 3 as a 16-year-old.
Verstappen became the youngest ever F1 driver in 2015, aged 17, racing for Red Bull’s junior team Toro Rosso (now Racing Bulls) before being promoted to the senior squad four races into the 2016 season. Victory on his Red Bull debut made him the youngest race winner in F1 history.
A first world championship followed for Verstappen in 2021 following a titanic battle against Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes, starting a period of domination. He claimed the following three drivers’ championships, including a record-breaking 2023 campaign where he won 19 out of 22 races.
Recent times have led to moments of frustration for Verstappen amid Red Bull’s dip in on-track performance. He has failed to win a race so far this season, and admitted at the British GP he was “fed up” of the team’s reliability issues following two rear wing failures in two race weekends.
Alternative options for Verstappen looking into next year looked slim given the deals in place for the drivers at the other front-running teams.
Zak Brown, the CEO of McLaren Racing, said last month that a conversation with Verstappen’s camp “didn’t go anywhere” given the long-term deals he has in place for Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri.
At Mercedes, a team to which Verstappen has regularly been linked in recent years, George Russell signed a multi-year agreement last year and 19-year-old teammate Kimi Antonelli has been in sparkling form this year, winning six races en route to the championship lead.
Ferrari recently signed Charles Leclerc to a new, long-term contract extension, while seven-time world champion Lewis Hamilton has returned to form this year, winning in Barcelona, and remains under contract for next year.
It left an extension of his time at Red Bull as Verstappen’s most likely option going into the coming seasons.
The news serves as a major moment in F1’s driver market going into 2027 by locking down one of the biggest names and seats available on the grid.
How big is this for Red Bull – and beyond?
Analysis by The Athletic’s Alex Kalinauckas
Suddenly, after years of high-profile names walking or being pushed out of Red Bull, the narrative of the crumbling empire has changed. With Verstappen sticking around, this remains one of F1’s top teams.
Verstappen’s problem for a short term move was that the only realistic teams for him to go and still win in — Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes — were all full for 2027. Especially once Mercedes doubled down on its line-up around Kimi Antonelli and George Russell.
Heading to Aston Martin and joining forces with Adrian Newey once again, around a huge salary, would no doubt have appealed to Verstappen. But that team’s awful 2026 season meant any shock switch was a non-starter.
So Red Bull keeps its prized asset — and that is a huge win for the new regime of Oliver Mintzlaff (Red Bull GmbH managing director) and team principal Laurent Mekies. Although, there are almost certainly the same contract stipulations that in this deal that mean Verstappen could walk for 2028 if something surprising were to open up at the other big three teams.
But it’s at Red Bull where he will get the most leeway to race in other categories — such as his Nürburgring 24 Hours exploits this year — as the wider energy drinks company understands the value of his massive brand appeal across its business.
But there is a risk too, for Verstappen. Although still not publicly confirmed, the FIA’s Additional Development and Upgrade Opportunities (ADUO) ruling means Red Bull is locked in on it engine development, unable to upgrade while all its manufacturer rivals can.
That is a big headache in a formula dominated by engine performance. And Red Bull’s aerodynamic issues won’t be solved by a new piece of paper with Verstappen’s signature on it.
But, with that, the team will do miles better than might otherwise have been the case with a different line-up in 2027 and beyond.

Comments
Nothing yet. Say the first thing.
Sign in to join the conversation.