E.H. Edejer - Philstar.com
August 22, 2026 | 11:22am
Houses are submerged in sand and mud after the Sto. Tomas River overflowed in the isolated barangay of Sta. Fe in San Marcelino, Zambales on Aug. 19, 2026.
San Marcelino PIO
IBA, Zambales — Heavy rains and flooding from the enhanced southwest monsoon destroyed more than P591 million in government infrastructure and local agriculture here in the last two weeks, prompting the Zambales provincial government to declare a state of calamity on Wednesday, August 19.
The Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC), which recommended the emergency declaration, said the destruction of critical and lifeline infrastructure has curtailed accessibility and the delivery of essential assistance to affected communities in the province, and that the magnitude and geographic spread of impacts “warrant coordinated provincial-level intervention.”
It also pointed out that the province continues to be threatened by adverse weather conditions, thus the need for sustained emergency preparedness, response and recovery operations.
The PDRRMC said the declaration of a state of calamity will boost province-wide coordination of response, recovery and rehabilitation measures, and allow government offices and local government units implement appropriate recovery and rehabilitation programs.
According to Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) head Rolex Estella, Zambales heavily incurred damages in government infrastructure, with P569.26 million losses reported so far from breached river dikes and collapsed revetments.
Seven sections of the river dike along the Bucao River in Botolan, Zambales were totally damaged, while six other breaches were reported along slope protection projects in the towns of Masinloc, Cabangan, and Botolan, Estella said.
PDRRMO data showed the seven dike breaches along Bucao River, which is a major tributary of Mount Pinatubo, totaled 2,931 linear meters.
In Subic and San Marcelino towns, which are both drained by the Sto. Tomas River, a total of four river revetments were also totally damaged.
The local engineering districts of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) in Zambales estimated the aggregate cost of repairing the destroyed dikes and revetments at P1.28 billion.
Meanwhile, more than P23.81 million were lost in terms of crops, agricultural infrastructure, and farm machinery and equipment due to heavy habagat rains, Estella said.
The PDRRMO broke down the agricultural losses as follows: P11.21 million in palay crops, P8.7 million in corn and other high-value crops, P1.39 million in fisheries, P1.34 million in agricultural infrastructure, P1.1 million in livestock and P61,500 in farm machinery and equipment.
A total of 1,498 farmers and 892.3 hectares of farming and fishery facilities were badly affected, the PDRRMO also reported.
Estella also said that the flooding in the last two weeks displaced more than 7,000 residents across the province at the height of the typhoons, partially damaged a total of 256 houses, and totally destroyed 32 others.

Comments
Nothing yet. Say the first thing.
Sign in to join the conversation.