One person has died and two boys have been seriously injured after an alleged sword attack at a school
Police sealed off a large perimeter surrounding the school (Image: AP)
One person has died and at least two others are seriously injured after a man, 18, wielding a sword allegedly launched an assault on a school in central Sweden, a police chief has confirmed.
Authorities said the suspect was apprehended following the attack at the school, which has approximately 400 to 500 pupils, northwest of Stockholm on Friday, August 21. The sword assault took place while lessons were under way.
Officers said gunfire was discharged during the arrest, though it remains uncertain whether the suspect sustained injuries. The suspect is being detained in custody and is not receiving treatment in hospital.
No immediate information was available regarding the alleged attacker's potential motive.
No immediate information was available regarding the alleged attacker's potential motive (Image: AP)
"We have no reason at this time to believe that there are multiple perpetrators," said Police Chief Tommy Alriksson, noting that an investigation was ongoing.
Sweden's national police confirmed investigators have already conducted two property searches linked to the suspect. Numerous witnesses were anticipated to be questioned as part of the probe.
"That's why we can't give out too much information, because we don't want to influence witnesses," the police chief said.
Vastmanland County, where the town is situated, said the two seriously wounded boys were aged between 12 and 17 years old, according to TT news agency.
Officers said gunfire was discharged during the arrest (Image: AP)
Police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad, quoted by TT, said an alert was received during early afternoon on Friday. Police sealed off a large perimeter surrounding the school, with several neighbouring schools placed on lockdown and roadblocks put in place following the incident.
"We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively," Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson wrote in a post on X.
"Our thoughts are with all those affected."
The Vastmanland County government confirmed that "many people" had been caught up in the incident, with police officers, firefighters and healthcare workers amongst those attending to those affected.

Comments
Nothing yet. Say the first thing.
Sign in to join the conversation.