During 1926-1946, traffic on Route 66 in Odell was so congested that it became necessary to build an underground passage for churchgoers and school children to safely cross. In 1947, with the advent of the four-lane bypass two blocks to the west, this became Business Route 66, and the tunnel was filled in. This spot is where the staircase to the tunnel began. The width of the tunnel is amazingly narrow.
Originally built in 1932, it was converted into a body shop from 1960 to 1975. It was restored and listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
To read the intro of the Route 66 travelogue, click here.
To read the summary of Touring Part 1 by a camper, click here.
To read all posts of Route 66 touring, click https://appleanbooks.substack.com/s/route66.

Comments
Nothing yet. Say the first thing.
Sign in to join the conversation.